In an ideal world the organisations we work in have established a system of defences that will protect against all accidents and incidents. We have systems and processes to follow, training to help us develop our skills and to set standards, technical support to perform tasks more quickly or complex than humans can - but still, things can and do go wrong. We have developed a SMART Human Factors training course in conjunction with the Difficult Airway Societyspecifically for Anaesthetists (click here for additional information) . The training combines expert teachings and insights based on well-backed scientific evidence that can help you recognise, prevent and overcome human limitations and fallibilities.
What do I gain ?
- An understanding of the patient safety issues involved with human fallibility
- Practical tools for leadership of the anaesthetic team
- Specific technical and non-technical skills to deal with anaesthetic airway issues
- Communication skills aimed at levelling the unnecessary hierarchy
- Assertiveness skills
- Avoiding interruptions and distractions
- Effective decision making
- Tools to help avoid and trap errors and threats
- Briefing the team to gain optimal high quality efficient work distribution
- Debriefing the team to capture the first hand learning
The course will explore :
- Why accidents happen
- How we make errors
- Situation awareness
- Safety compromised
- Decision making
- Leaders and teams
- Briefing and checklists
- Review and summary
Training methods :
Initial courses will be delivered at Foundation level, combining short lectures with individual and team exercises as well as open discussion. We also offer a variety of masterclasses for those who already have an understanding of Human Factors but wish to focus on specific problem areas.
If you have any questions about this or any of our couses please CLICK HERE to get in contact with us