Secondary and Acute Care
Our expert trainers can tackle your Human Factors issues head on and provide in house training with solutions that can be implemented immediately in your daily practice.
For secondary and acute care teams, our Human Factors Foundation Course comes highly recommended. The course is highly interactive with both individual exercises and group discussion which are aimed at introducing new concepts whilst capitalising on team members own experiences.
This course covers the following subject matter at a foundation level :
- Introduction to Human Factors - definition and data
- Cognition Issues - The essential fallibility of the human brain and propensity for error
- Sub-Optimal Performance - the effects of stress and targets on adherence to rules
- Communications - practical, proven skills to ensure safe communication
- Assertiveness - dealing with inappropriate hierarchy and offering real skills for speaking up
- Conflict Management - skills that can defuse anger and bullying in the workplace
- Leadership - who is the leader? What are the skills of leading a healthcare team?
- Team-working - how to bring unmotivated staff on board and get everyone working together
- Situation Awareness - how are 'mental models' formed and maintained? what are the classic signs of impending error?
- Decision Making - how to avoid automatic decision processes and delegate workload appropriately
- Briefing - using all these skills to form a safe, effective, efficient team
- Debriefing - no one is better placed than the team members to learn and implement improvements.
- Checklists - how to design and use checklists that teams can accept and understand.
Delegates and Team Leaders will gain :
- confidence in their abilities and the tools to make improvements where needed
- self-awareness – including recognising the effects of stress on their reactions
- better communication and team-working
- assertiveness skills, and the ability to speak up
- improved situational awareness and decision making
- the ability to use a structure of observable behaviours for consistent feedback
- develop the skills of facilitated briefing and debriefing
- an understanding of how to use checklists effectively
- a motivated and safer team
Training methods :
Initial courses will be delivered at Foundation level, combining short lectures with individual and team exercises as well as open discussion.
If you have any questions about this or any of our couses please CLICK HERE to get in contact with us